Friday, November 18, 2005




NO TENGO TIME!!!!






School, Work, School, Work... This is exactly how I can sum up a typical life as an undergraduate student.

I am currently a sophmore majoring in Special Education and Spanish at FGCU. I stay busy with my 24-7 job as a Resident Assistant with on-campus housing. When I am not working or attending classes, you will find me involved with either club de espanol, La Alianza, or Student Government. Homework also takes up a majority of my time on the weekends because it is difficult to find the time during the weekdays.

I'm lucky to get more than four hours of sleep a night. It's hard to find time to have more than two meals a day. Family and friends are far and my 75 dollars every two weeks (job) gets more demanding day by day.

But, I'm not going to complain. Attending this university has opened doors to places and opportunities that I would have never have imagined if I would have kept on working and done nothing after highschool. Honestly, college is tough but I would have never had the chance to join Spanish Club, go to the Dominican Republic, become Public Relations for Spanish Club, SG's Director of Multicultural Affairs, Resident Assistant of Cypress, or meet so many amazing people! I am now planning to be an international student next fall to continue working, learning, and volunteering in Santiago, Republica Dominicana.

Life as an undergraduate is stressful yet incredible. I have realistic goals, strong passions to succeed, 'smarts', and an open-mind. What more could you ask for?


The foto has been provided by BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk

1 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Hi Kelsey,

I spoke about the service learning project that the Spanish Club takes every year to the Dominican Republic during Spring Break. I was the Director of Programming for RHA last year so I thought it would be good to get the new members involved in Spanish Club's annual project. The majority of RHA are freshman members so I thought it would be great to offer the opportunity to gain 40 service learning hours this way. FGCU's Spanish Club works in poverty stricken neighborhoods and schools in Santiago, DR. This project has been around for five years at FGCU and we plan to keep it going. This project is one of the main reasons why I am so passionate about teaching and learning the Spanish language. It taught me so much more about "third world" or developing countries but how vital communication across borders and even our schools makes all the difference. As future educators, I believe the best way to educate is to communicate. If we are able to communicate with both students and parents, it will make all the difference in what we are trying to accomplish.

12/01/2005 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home