Thursday, November 10, 2005

I have always assumed technology was easier for the elderly since they have been surrounded by it for a number of years. With years of experience, I thought the elderly would be the first to explain how technology worked for me. I would think they would be the first to pull me aside and request an interview about technology. My assumptions were incorrect. Many of my questions were clearly false. Then, just recently, I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Sandra Taylor of sunny Tampa, Florida. Mrs. Taylor was visiting her granddaughter, Amber, for the weekend in North Lake Village. She instantly gave me a hug and said, “You must be Amber’s roommate, Casey! I’ve heard a lot about you! Please call me Nana!” From there, I decided to take this opportunity to learn how different technology was forty years ago. She kindly agreed to an interview that would help me understand more about technology from our past generations. For more about my interview with Nana, click here

Above is an excerpt from my Technology Autobiography of Sandra Taylor. Mrs. Sandra "Nana" Taylor is a very charming and intellctual woman. Honestly, I learned more from a few questions than I would have from hands on experience in the classroom. I realized how many differences and technigocical gaps the young and old had between them. Interviewing Nana helped me recognize how much we depend on the convenience of technology. It has also opened my eyes to the importance of this new way to communicate and educate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home