Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Hola Muchachos! CLASSROOM ACTIVIY

I agree with you Casey it is not easy to learn a second language. I am very glad that you being so young you are aware of some of the struggles that ESOL students face while learning a foreign language and living in a “strange” country- and not their own.
As far as your classroom activity, I think it is a good strategy to use music to enhance and to better understand the target language (English). Music is something that kids tend to like and appreciate because they find it fun.

I have a some comments and suggestions for your classroom activities:
For a classroom activity to be fructiferous the objective need to be stated and very clear:

1-What do you want your ESOL students to learn during this activity?

2-What previous knowledge and skills do you ESOL students need to have to complete this activity? (e.g., some of them might not know how to use the computer. Is class time going to be devoted to this? A great percentage of ESOL students come from low income household-these students might not ever been exposed to computers in their home countries.)

3-What exactly are you going to have your students do? Do a PowerPoint presentation or a music video? (you need to specify).

4-What are the step-by-step procedures to do the activity?

5-What is the length of this activity?

6-What materials are you going to use for your ESOL students to make the song more comprehensible? (Dictionaries…)

Overall, I find the activity very interesting. I hope that my suggestions help you in developing the activity. I’ll be checking your blog. Ask me any question that can help you.

Adios y Buena Suerte!!!!


Tania

1 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Hi Tania,

I knew I was missing something in my activity! Thank you for all your suggestions and ideas. I plan on revising my classroom activity to these standards. Be sure to watch out for my updated activity in a future post. Thanks again for your help!

12/01/2005 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home